January 21 – May 28, 2017
Curated by Alan Hess
Special event: HOUSE, featuring Heidi Duckler Dance Theatre (archive)
Palos Verdes Art Center is pleased to announce Aaron G. Green and California Organic Architecture, opening January 21, 2017. The exhibition features rare photographs and original architectural renderings and plans from the noted architect’s office, as well as period shelter magazines spotlighting Green’s work. The exhibition will remain on view at PVAC through May 28, 2017.
Architect Aaron G. Green (1917-2001) FAIA, was one of Organic Architecture’s most talented proponents. Inspired by the complex patterns, rugged textures and varied forms of nature, Organic Modernism offered an alternative to the sharp-edged glass box Modernism known as the International Style. Though he worked primarily in the San Francisco Bay Area, Green launched his career in Los Angeles after World War II when the region’s creative energy flourished.
Green’s long independent practice produced Organic designs for custom homes, public housing, churches, schools, and internment facilities. He was widely published in House Beautiful and Architectural Digest. But his additional role as Frank Lloyd Wright’s associate in their joint San Francisco office also placed him at the forefront of some of America’s most visionary architecture during the fruitful final decade of Wright’s life. The graceful Butterfly Wing bridge to cross southern San Francisco Bay was never built, but the equally visionary Marin County Civic Center was; Wright entrusted Green to see it to completion after Wright’s death.
This is the first exhibit of Aaron G. Green’s work to be presented in Southern California. Alan Hess, Curator
Palos Verdes Art Center would like to thank The Aaron G. Green Archive, Allan Green, and Jan Novie for loaning invaluable objects, and The Huntington Library, San Marino, California for providing rare photography by Maynard L. Parker to make this exhibition possible.
Palos Verdes Art Center / Beverly G. Alpay Center for Arts Education, a nonprofit community visual arts school and gallery, inspires individuals to create, appreciate and celebrate art. Since it was founded in 1931, PVAC’s exhibition, education and outreach programs have made the visual arts available, accessible and affordable.